Are you considering a career in medicine?
Do you often wonder what the career progression in the medical line is and how much professionals in the industry are being paid?
Then this article is going to be the one –stop- resource you will need to know Doctors salaries and the salaries of other professionals in the medical field
This is because a lot of people feel that medicine is a very lucrative profession and as such it is quite normal to get inquisitive about what doctors or physicians in a hospital earns more and which one came at a level below.
Well, like most organizations, hospitals too follow a certain hierarchy structure according to roles and responsibilities.
Several factors are considered before the salary of a medical doctor is determined. In this post, I will be helping you understand the different grades of doctors and their career progresses.
But let’s start with the grades of the medical doctors.
GRADES OF MEDICAL DOCTORS.
- Entry Level Medical Doctor.
Entry level medical doctors treat people for illnesses and injuries. An entry level doctor is also one whose year of experience is between 0-2 years in the medical industry. They earn an average of Ksh 138,000
- Mid-Level Medical Doctor.
Mid-level grade doctors are those whose year of experience is between 3-9 years in the medical industry. They rank higher than the entry level doctors. They earn between ksh 142,000 – Ksh 302,000.
- Senior Level Medical Doctor.
They prescribe medications, order diagnostic tests, diagnose ailments, and record patient information.
These grades of doctors are those who have above 10years of working experience in the medical field. They earn around Ksh 238,000 and above.
The Career Progression of Medical Doctors
- Medical Intern- Medical intern is a term used in some countries to describe a physician in training who has completed medical school and has a medical degree, but does not yet have a full license to practice medicine unsupervised. It is also called Housemanship. This stage of becoming a medical doctor includes series of trainings that must be organized within the confines of a training system for about one year. It is the state of being a houseman i.e a junior doctor training in a hospital post. Their average salary is Ksh 132,000
- Medical Officer-. Their average salary is Ksh 141,000.
A medical officer is a physician who is often in charge of ordering and interpreting tests for patients. They analyze records, reports and exam data to help them diagnose patients’ conditions. If further information is needed, they will order additional tests, consult with other physicians in the field or the patient’s previous healthcare professionals. They are responsible for the overall clinical performance of the team.
- Senior Medical Officer- Medical Officers, often know as Chief or Senior Medical Officers, are physicians who are typically in charge at hospitals. Medical Officers serve as advisors on health issues and disease control, provide medical support, discover inconsistencies and investigate problems. Medical Officers can find work overseeing clinical programs where clinical trials take place and require recruiting of individuals to participate in the trials. Their average salary is Ksh 190,000.
- Consultant- This is the title of a senior hospital-based physician or surgeon who has completed all of his or her specialist training and been placed on the specialist register in their chosen specialty. Their role is entirely distinct from that of general practitioners.
Consultants accept ultimate responsibility for the care of all the patients referred to them, so the job carries significant personal responsibility. Their average salary is Ksh 300,000 –Ksh 400,000
Medical practitioners are some of the most paid of all professions even though their salaries vary and if you are considering a career in the medical field, then that is your guide to how much they are worth.
Do you want to help us keep this chart updated? Then anonymously add a salary review or use our salary calculator to find how much you are worth in your field.